Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Music Post!

A little bit of history for those of you unacquainted with my yearly mix: it comes with rules. While the entire list will be published for those who wish to see it, the important one here is the "No music purchased after November 30th counts for this year's mix". This is to help me avoid trying to cram as much new music in during December as possible, and so far, it's worked.

This also gives me a chance to really digest what I purchase in December and January. And can I say that I have gotten a LOT of really good shit so far this year? So here we go.

1. Lovers Electric

These two simply rock. Fusing rock, pop, 80's, glam, and electronica into a kickass album, the duo Lovers Electric are set to tread highly on the blazed trail the Veronicas set from Australia to the US. Here's the video for their debut single from the album Whatever You Want, "Honey".



2. Kevin Rudolf

Having made a surprising splash with his hit song "Let It Rock", I really didn't have high hopes for Rudolf. He really delivers with his debut album In the City, though, showing immense chops in both songwriting and producing. He even nabbed Lil Wayne, Nas, and Pete Ross to rap for him. Good job! "Let It Rock" plays below.



3. Elsiane

I'm a very big fan of the middle years of Bjork's career, after she shied away from the beginnings of a string of house music albums, and before she became fucked, mentally. Elsiane mirrors the gentle and eclectic sounds of "Bachelorette", "I Miss You", and "Possibly Maybe" with a distinctive vocalist and a great sense for chilled beats and involved lyrics. Here's the video for "Vaporous", from their album Hybrid.



4. Does It Offend You, Yeah?

My best friend turned me onto this group after I pointedly avoided them due to their name. I tend to shy away from "cleverness" in music after Fallout Boy, which is a band I cannot stand. But I was pleasantly very wrong about DIOYY. Their style of rock and electronica makes for a compelling listen. The album is appropriately titled You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into. "Epic Last Song" has a weird video. Check it out:



5. Ladyhawke

Wow, this chick rocks. Another artist I tuned into a bit late. She channels everything that was right about Blondie, The Pretenders, Missing Persons, etc. I'll let her music speak for itself. Here is the third single from her self-titled album, "Paris Is Burning".




6. My Dear Disco

This fantastic group's members are named the following: Record, Play, Stop, Rewind, Fast-Forward, Pause, and Eject. And they make fun, light hearted modern disco. Can one go wrong? Here's a Dancethink LP teaser.



7. The Whip

Grunge was one of my favorite musical genres, and it's fantastic to see that morose and angsty attitude carry on to my new favorite genre: dance. Their debut song "Trash", off of the album X Marks Destination, isn't too lyrically complicated, but the band sure does look like it's enjoying playing the song!



8. Plushgun

Following in the footsteps of the Postal Service, Plushgun deliver soft male vocals over a lush pile of unassuming electronic sounds and gentle beats. Still, this is highly engaging stuff. Here's a cool video for "Just Impolite" from Pins & Panzers:




While I may be currently compiling the music mix for 2009, the mix for 2010 is shaping up nicely with offerings from these fantastic artists. See you guys soon!

No comments: